Mulbarton's Meeting Places
Not many people realise that until the late 1960s Mulbarton had two pubs - the World's End (an inn, still standing and still trading) and the Tradesman's Arms (a beer-house, later a public house, demolished c.1972).
These were meeting-places, not just for drinkers but also for a number of clubs and teams ranging from bowls and darts to The Oddfellows and a boxing club. Around 1907, the Wingfield Hall was built next to the Chapel as a Reading Room and became the Parish Hall - it was home to a Social Club and used for parties and pantomimes. The Wingfield Hall fell into decay and disuse by 1972. In the same year, a committee was formed to raise money for new premises and when the school moved, the old building was bought by the community as a Village Hall after many fundraising activities. The Village Hall was home to many organsations, including Brownies and Guides, the WI, a baby clinic and playgroup. Other organisations met in the new school - Cubs & Scouts, St John's Ambulance and various evening classes.
In 1989 a new chapter began - a new purpose-built Village Hall and Social Club was opened and behind it a new HQ building for Mulbarton Scouts & Guides. Already Mulbarton United Football Club had started work on a new pitch, and soon a multi-purpose hard court and a play area were added. Now there was a home for every village organisation. More information on these buildings and organisations on other pages - click on the name for a link....