TWO WORLD WARS
ON THIS PAGE you will find a brief introduction to both World Wars; information on the War Memorial and those commemorated there; with links at the end to related pages.
World War I and its aftermath
The Roll of Honour in the Church porch (above) lists ALL the Mulbarton men who served in the 1914-18 war. The 16 who died are high-lighted in gold. A total of 90 men went to war, which must have been a high proportion of the men of the village, as it was 19% of the total population (481 in the national census of 1911).
Besides the worry for families with men abroad, there were changes on the 'Home Front', too:
WW1 from the Parish Council Minutes
1914, July 9th 'Correspondence from Major Allen of 3rd Norfolk Battery RFA asking for use of Common for manoeuvres... Propd by A Sturman, 2nd by C Frost that this Council knows no reason why the 3rd Norfolk Battery RFA should not practise for the weekend as required providing that the turf of the Common is not disturbed. Carried unanimously.'
1915 Feb 17th Council met at the Clerk's house [school house] as schoolroom windows too large to black out under "Defence of the Realm Lighting Order". Managed to hold the Annual parish Meeting in the school on March 31st, and Parish Council resumed its meetings in the school from April to Oct.
1915, Nov. 4th Recorded that the Council meets in the Clerk's house for the winter. Two Councillors now absent on military service, so agree to reduce quorum to 1/3rd of members.
By Sept. 1916, another Councillor [C. Frost] had joined the Army, and only 2 Councillors and the Clerk attended the meeting.
1917 Feb: Parish Council agreed to act as local sub-committee of the Committee of National Service, so had to get particulars of fit people not already engaged in national work.
THE WAR MEMORIAL
memorial to her fallen sons was dedicated and unveiled on Sunday afternoon [17th
October 1920]. The memorial tablet is fixed on the south wall inside the church
and is of Sicilian marble, with Irish green marble mount, all polished. It has
a bronze border, with an oakleaf design.... The service was conducted by the
Rector, the Rev. E. E. Ward. The Dean, in his address, said the names engraved
on the tablet would last as long as the church lasted. They should all
remember, too, those men who returned safely.... At the end of the service,
wreaths were laid near the tablet by relatives of the fallen... A muffled peal
was afterwards rung on the bells.
(From a contemporary newspaper cutting lent by Evelyn Smith)