Wingfield, nephew of Charles, may have moved to join his aunt at Mulbarton Hall
when he retired in 1900. Certainly he and his wife, Lady Mary Georgina
Wingfield, were living there in 1901. In 1907 he added a large extension onto
the west end designed by the Norwich architects Edward Boardman & Son as
staff quarters and dairy and brew-house.
Sir Edward died in 1910, but his widow continued to live there until
1916 or later.
Sargeaunt, Esq. (1922 - 1927, when he put it up for auction - see below). Mr. Sargeaunt
died in 1929.
(From Parish Council Minutes: 1929 Feb: 'Chairman was asked on behalf of the Parish Council to
send a letter of sympathy to Mrs. Sargeaunt'.)
Massingham (1927 - 1946/7) had various alterations made to modernise the house
and improve the heating system in 1928. People remember that 'The Hall was the
home of Mrs. Massingham, whose employees were Messrs. Skipper and Warman.... She
had a grove of fir trees planted to hide the Council Houses from her view. When
more houses were built, horse-chestnut and willow trees were planted at the end
of their gardens to hide them.'
(nee Barrett), 1911-1995, lived all her life in Mulbarton like her mother, her
grandmother, and her great-grandmother.... On leaving school [she] went into
service with the Massingham family at Mulbarton Hall. Marriage followed in 1933
to Robin Bailey and they had three children...' (Margaret
White, in Parish News, Spring 1995)
1927 Sale particulars of Mulbarton Hall:
from the 'Particulars and Conditions of Sale.... Of Mulbarton Hall' by auction on
Saturday 17th September 1927 at 1 pm ('precisely') at Royal Hotel,
Norwich, by S. Mealing Mills & Co. (Available
at Norfolk Record Office)
'The charmingly situated Freehold Residence known as Mulbarton Hall, near
Norwich with Ornamental gardens, Large Tennis Lawn, Glasshouses, Stabling and
Garages, Small Farmery. Four cottages and gardens and Four Enclosures of
Valuable Arable and Pasture Lands. The whole containing an area of 18 acres 2
roods 9 perches.' For sale in 1 or 3 Lots.
1½ miles from Swainsthorpe Railway Station, and 3½ miles from Hethersett
Railway Station (L. and N.E. Railway Main Lines), and about 5 miles from
Antony O. Sargeaunt, Esq.
Ground Floor -
Lounge Hall, Dining Room (panelled), Drawing Room communicating with
Conservatory or Winter Garden, Side lobby, Lavatory, Garden Room (with pump and
boiler for heating conservatory), Wine Cellar, Morning Room, Store.
Offices - Pantry, Servants Hall, Kitchen, Pastry larder, Scullery, Larder,
Dairy, Back Hall, Yard, Boothouse, Doghouse, Coalhouse.
with Electric Light Plant with 8 hp Crossley oil engine, dynamo, switch board,
56 large accumulators. Pump House, well, boiler house.
On the First
Floor - approached by carved oak staircase: Landing; 3 bedrooms with
dressing rooms adjoining, and 3 other bedrooms; 2 Bathrooms
with WCs, Linen Room; 3 servants'
Second floor -
attic box room
planned gardens, grounds and shrubbery, with fine ornamental timber and other
trees. Large tennis lawn. Summer house. Prolific kitchen garden. Herbaceous
borders, asparagus beds, raspberry canes, trained fruit and other trees and
nutwalk. 3 small forcing houses.... Range of potting sheds. Yards and shelter
sheds... Coke house. Large pond with rose borders."
Other items of
2 garages for 3
cars, with studio, lofts and chauffeur's bedroom above.
house for 4 cows.
of fine pasture land, together with two brick tiled and slated freehold
cottages, now occupied as one house, situate on the opposite side of the road
to Lot 1, at the corner of Rectory Lane" with 2 sitting rooms, 2 kitchens, 4
upstairs rooms, 2 coalhouses, 2 closets and Gardens "as lately in the
occupation of Mr. Andrews, Gardener, and now unoccupied... 7 acres 3 roods 25
"Freehold Cottage Residence, now divided and occupied as Two Cottages situate
adjoining Lot 1, fronting Long Lane. One house occupied by Mrs. Howes at a
weekly rental amounting to £13 per annum paid quarterly, Landlord paying Rates,
and the other house occupied by Mr. Skipper, chauffeur, a service tenant, Rent