Continue a little further north, and you came to....
Mrs. Robinson's shop, St. Omer Close
'Maggie Robinson ran a shop in the front room of her home in St. Omer Close. She was Mrs. Mickleburgh's mother, and had owned the orchard that was cleared for St. Omer Close to be built.' [The doorway and ground floor layout of that house is still slightly different from all the others in the Close.]
Yo the south of the Common there was.....
Mr Larter's General Store, Cuckoofield lane
Mr & Mrs Larter opened a wooden shop in their garden at 22 Cuckoofield Lane which served the growing population at the southern end of the parish.
"He sold anything from ¼ lb of tea to a gallon of paraffin (no EU Regulations then!)"
'George Larter had a wooden shop in his garden in what were the council houses in Cuckoofield Lane. He sold sweets, Corona fizzy drinks and fruit among other things. I remember when the first bananas appeared after the war - the queue extended the length of his long front garden path as no-one had seen bananas since the war began!'
In fact, there was a fuss about the early Cuckoofield Lane shop, as the Parish Council Minutes show:
1933 March 20th [Protest received about one of the Council Houses in Cuckoofield Lane being used as a shop, as] 'it was unjust to the other shopkeepers in the village who were compelled to pay much higher rent values.'
1933 April 20th Reported that higher rent to be paid by the shopkeeper in the Council House.
This was superceded a couple of decades later....
Mrs Brighton's shop, Cuckoofield Lane
Eventually, when the 'new' council houses were built further along Cuckoofield Lane in the late '50s, a shop was included at no. 127. Doris Brighton ran it as a general store for many years, and later it was converted into a hairdresser's salon.
Mrs Brighton remembers that she was about the only person in Cuckoofield Lane to have a telephone and she would get emergency messages and be asked to fetch or tell people in houses all along the road.