The first mention of 'cycle maker, motor & electrical engineer' is in Kelly's 1908 directory, naming James Cole, who was also Hon. Sec. of Mulbarton & District Football Club. By 1922 the name listed is Charles James Frost - Charlie Frost, who had been serving the village since before the Great War.
Frost's garage was opposite the pond - the site is now the Mulberry Nursery. Charlie Frost and his sons, Claude and Desmond, built up a good reputation, and when they had the Ford franchise people came from a wide area to have their cars serviced there.
C J Frost advertised regularly on the back page of the East Carleton Parish Magazine:
1915: 'C. J. Frost, Cycle & Motor Agent, Mulbarton, Norfolk. Sole agent for BSA, New Hudson, Premier, Sparkbrook, and other Cycles. Cycles built to Customer's own specification from £3. 3s.0d; second-hand cycles from £1. He offered car tyres - any make; gas and oil lams from 3 shillings and 1 shilling respectively; inner tubes from 1/6d fitted; pram tyring a speciality.' And he was selling Pratt's and Shell petrol.