formerly 'Common View' is a cottage with barns and a small garden that is
obviously built on former common land, west of the main road (the Turnpike /
Norwich Road / B1113) (above). The exact date is unknown - but its Georgian style
suggests it was built in the Eighteenth century. Here we look at the history of the cottage, but it is closely linked to the business of various carpenters.
The first known
date is a General Court of Mulbarton Manor held on 28th April 1794.
Then, Shelton Cullingford (Carpenter) of Bungay and Amy his wife took on the
copyhold tenancy of the property. The Cullingfords also held the tenancy of
neighbouring properties, and may have later moved to one of these. At the same Court, Thomas Dunt was allowed to continue
having 'a certain shed', 22 feet long and 11 feet wide, built on waste
belonging to the Manor and subject to an annual rent of 6 (old) pence.
March 1805, Richard Whiting (Schoolmaster) of Mulbarton and his wife,
Elizabeth, take on the tenancy of "that dwelling house on the green called
Mulbarton Green together with land 4 feet behind the dwelling house from north
to south as far as two walnut trees each standing anear the ends of the
dwelling house, the premises situated between the premises of Shelton
Cullingford of Bungay and the great road leading from Bracon to Norwich". On 21st
August 1805, the Whitings added an extra 3 rods of 'waste land' to the south
and north of the house for a rent of 6d a year, and in March 1807 they added a
further 6 rods lying in front of the house for an additional 6d a year rent.
Whiting died, his widow Elizabeth married William Ollett (Carpenter) of
Mulbarton. On 18th April 1814, William and Elizabeth Ollett took on
the tenancy. Five years later, William Ollett told the Manor Court held on 30th
June 1819 that he had bought Thomas Dunt's shed for £20, and was given a licence
to let the shed remain for a rent of 6d a year. On 4th June 1821,
William Ollett asked the Court if he could dig a sawpit on the south side of
his dwelling house, erect a shed over the pit, and also enclose a parcel of
land about 7 yards by 15 yards containing the shed and sawpit. He was allowed
to do this - at an annual rent of 2/6d.
Ollett died on 6th February 1828, and her husband William lived
until 12th May 1851. They had three children: Henry, William and
Mary Ann (who later married Benjamin Spaul). Under his mother's will, Henry had
the option to take on the copyhold tenancy of the house at his father's death,
but he did not choose to.
certain date is 4th February when Michael Turner of Ipswich
(described as sole surviving trustee) took on the tenancy of the "double
dwelling house with yards, gardens and land about one rood (more or less)". He
died in July 1865, and his son, Rev. Michael Turner of Corton near Stowmarket,
took over the dwelling house and two parcels of "waste lands" of 3
rods and 6 rods respectively. Whether the property was rented out throughout
the Turner's tenancy is uncertain, but by 1873 it was occupied by Alfred Banham
(Plumber and Glazier) who is listed in the 1869 Post Office Directory (along
with Joshua Banham, Carpenter).
On Tuesday 2nd September 1873: "Desirable Small
Estates situate next to the Beautiful Common of Mulbarton... will be offered for
Auction by Messrs. Spelman at the World's End Inn, Mulbarton at three for four
o'clock in the afternoon, in Four Lots".
LOT 1. A neat Brick and Tile Dwelling-house, well fitted up,
containing two front Sitting-rooms, five Bed-rooms, Plumber's Shop, small
Garden, a Back Yard, Stable, Cart Shed, &c., occupied by Mr. Alfred Banham
at a rental of £11. 10s. 0d per annum
Lot II. A substantial Brick-built Double Cottage with
gardens thereto....in the occupation of Henry Nicholds and Elijah Palmer, at
rentals amounting to £10 per annum.
Lot III. A Brick and Slate Cottage, Stable, Cart Shed,
Garden, and well-planted Orchard... and a Carpenter's Shop, Storeroom, covered
Saw-pit, and Yard, all in the occupation of Mr. Joshua Banham at a rental of
£18 per annum.
Lot IV. A Brick and Tile Cottage and Garden....in the
occupation of William Mallett and William Thompson, at rentals of £7. 4s. 0d
per annum; and also a capital Brick and Tile Cottage and Shop, lately used as a
Tailor's Shop, with well-planted Garden, Pump, and Shed....in the occupation of
William Williams and William Beckett, at rentals amounting to £11 per annum.
The purchasers of lots 1, 2, and 3, are to have the right to
draw and take water from the Pump and Well on lot 4, they paying a proportional
part of the expense, according to the rental, of keeping the pump and well and 'the pump-trees and going gears of the pump' in repair.
All the above is Copyhold of the Manor of Mulbarton....
All....are entitled to Rights over the valuable Common adjoining.
documents show that Alfred Banham, former tenant, purchased Lot 1 for £160 -
paying a deposit to the Auctioneers of £16, the rest to be paid by 11th
October. This is the house now known as