Kenningham Hall & Farm
KENNINGHAM (or Keningham) was a separate Parish and Manor until 1452. It is recorded in the Domesday Book as Kenincham, being half a mile long and five furlongs wide (that is approximately 20 acres), so it was much smaller than Mulbarton.
13 Rectors of Kenningham are listed, beginning with Roger Baste of Hasketone (1309) and ending with Will Steynware or Steynour (1446). In 1452 the benefice was perpetually united with Mulbarton. (From the list of Rectors in Mulbarton Church, where name spelt with 'nn')
Kenningham was probably never very large and the reason for its demise is uncertain. It has been assumed that it was decimated by the 'Black death' around 1348-68. The church was totally demolished before the Reformation and its land of 50 acres was added to the glebe of Mulbarton. The site of the church is now lost in woodland but is clearly marked on the 1724 map of Mulbarton. Incidentally, Keningham is not otherwise included in that map, because it was not part of the Manor of Mulbarton. The former village became pasture; and all that remains today is the Hall, a terrace of former farm-workers cottages, and a series of mounds in a nearby field.