Was Scott's Terrace really a Factory?
It was a study of the Turnpike map of 1832 that gave the answer: the Turnpike Trust wanted to take out some of the bends in what is now the B1113 [if only....!!] and there by the big bend before Paddock Farm is marked 'the Late Manufactury'. Further investigation showed that it had been a SILK factory, which had come up for auction in 1830:
From the Norwich Mercury, 6th March 1830:
To be sold by Auction by William Butcher on Tuesday 9th
March 1830 at the White Lion Inn, White Lion Street, at 4 o'clock in the
afternoon, pursuant to an order of the major part of the Commissioners acting
under a Commission of Bankrupt against Arthur Beloe, the following valuable
[Lot 1 was a house and cloth factory in St John's, Timberhill, Norwich]
Lot 2 - A substantial newly-erected Building at Mulbarton,
in Norfolk, lately used by the said Arthur Below (sic) as a Silk Factory, with a
piece of ground at the back thereof. Apportioned land tax 4 shillings per
Lot 3 - A good brick cottage at Mulbarton, in Norfolk,
occupied by Thomas Greenwood. Also a bleaching house and garden adjoining.
Apportioned land tax 2 shillings per annum.
Lot 4 - A double cottage at Mulbarton, in Norfolk, partly
occupied by John Hilling, with a large garden adjoining.
For further particulars and conditions of sale apply to
Messrs Sewell, Blake, Keith & Black, solicitors, Norwich, or to William
Butcher the Auctioneer.
The silk industry in and around Norwich was experiencing
problems in the latter part of the 1820s - and premises outside the city were thought to be taking jobs away. Another report in the Norwich Mercury (12th
June 1827) tells of a party of Wymondham
weavers accused of damaging looms and destroying £1000-worth of silk at
Ashwellthorpe. They were arrested and taken to Norwich Castle in hackney
coaches with an escort from the 12th Lancers (no doubt passing along
the Turnpike and through Mulbarton). Their arrival sparked a riot by Norwich
weavers who were charged with riotous assembly. Their defence claimed that the
Riot Act had been mis-read, so their punishment was mitigated to being bound
over at £50 each.
Mulbarton's 'Manufactury' would never have been a factory in the modern sense, but accommodation for weavers with a top-floor room for the looms. It was not wanted as a factory, so whoever bought it turned it into a terrace of 5 cottages on 3 floors by dividing the top floor into attic rooms for each house. Those who lived there 100 years later remembered that the ground and 1st floor had brick walls between the cottages, but on the top floor the walls were flimsy and you could tap messages or shout to your neighbour!
Lot 3, the 'good brick cottage' in the auction probably became 'Orchard House' where the Carvers eventually lived (see above). And Lot 4, 'a double cottage' became farm workers' cottages until they were replaced by a pair of post-war houses still called Hall Farm Cottages.
Unfortunately no photos exist of 'The Factory', but there is the remains of one wall between the vet's car park and paddock!