The Tradesman's Arms
ON THIS PAGE is information on the Tradesman's Arms; memories; some organisations that met there; and a list of Landlords.
The 'other' Mulbarton pub was situated next to the Malthouse, almost on the corner of Norwich Road (B1113) and East Carleton Road - a site now occupied by modern houses. For most of its existence it is described as a 'beer house' and did not have a full licence. The proprietor was a 'beer retailer' who did other work as well. For most of its existence it was in the hands of wheelwrights - it was very conveniently placed, opposite the forge where the blacksmith would put the iron tyres on the wheels. In the 1891 census, Charlotte Dye a widow, is listed as wheelwright, carpenter and innkeeper, living with 2 sons and 2 daughters; one son is a wheelwright and carpenter and the other is a butcher's assistant. Much later, another innkeeper, Mr. Swain, was also one of the village undertakers. In 1950, a wine licence was applied for.